Add a new feature request or suggestion

Rename Malkovich Log to Private Notes

New players don't know what Malkovich means. Per Sensei's Library, the term "Malkovich" comes from the movie "Being John Malkovich," in which people can visit the inside of another person's brain. That movie was released in 1999 and is honestly kind of obscure, being the 79th highest grossing film that same year. Since that time, someone in 2008 apparently thought it was an apt metaphor for private notes in a Go game and started using the term. And it caught on. What travesty!

I suggest renaming the obscure Malkovich Log to simply "Private Notes" (or "Notes" for short.)

8 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

mark5000mark5000 shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • GreenAsJadeGreenAsJade commented  · 

I think they would ideally be called this as well BUT THEY ARE NOT PRIVATE.

Anyone can see them - anyone who is not logged in.

The current implementation prioritises anonymous people being able to view the log over the privacy.

In this circumstance, using the word "private" or anything like it would be dangerously misleading.

• Haim ZamirHaim Zamir commented  · 

Why can't I vote against a request? Suppose you get 100 votes, but 200 don't like your request?
        I think Malkovitch is a fine name. Let it be obscure. I'm generally against obscurity but this case is different since it says "notes".

• Anonymous commented  · 

Private notes wouldn't quite cover it since they are only private until the game finishes at which point everyone can 'visit the inside of another person's brain', I think Malkovich log is a perfect name for them.

• mlopezviedmamlopezviedma commented  · 

Wouldn't be better to *add* private notes as a new implementation? (So, having three posibilities: messages, private notes, *and* Malkovich.)

I agree on renaming Malkovich to some other term though. How about:

Public: i.e. public chat messages
        Shared: to everyone but opponent, aka Malkovich
        Private: only to you

Feedback and Knowledge Base